The first part of this deep dive event is lecture and hands on lab. At the end of that time, you’ll have a solid foundation for building WP7 applications. The remainder of the day is going straight to code!
Build the best app and win a $500 (1st place), $200 (2nd place) or $100 (3rd place) American Express gift card! Build your app in a group (in a group, if your app wins, you will split your winnings) or go solo! Start building your app NOW; you don’t need to wait for the event to start! You must be present to win!
Free MarketPlace tokens for those putting their application into the marketplace (a limited supply of these, organizers of each event will collect names and we will distribute)
Telerik is sponsoring a$5000.00 Grand Prize for the best application over all of the WP7 Unleashed events that are submitted to marketplace. The top 25 will be selected and then one of the top 25 will be randomly picked for the prize (So get your app into the marketplace after the event). They are also giving EVERY attendee a free set of their $99.00 WP7 Controls.
PDSA, Inc. is pleased to sponsor the WP7 Unleashed Events. They will be giving 2 lucky winners from each event a chance to win four 1 hour long videos on Silverlight. In addition 1 lucky person will win our Haystack Code Generator for .NET at each event that allows you to create the business and data classes and the WCF services that can be consumed by Windows Phone 7 applications!
O’Reilly will be giving away a free ebook to every attendee (Many WP7 titles) and will also donate a few books to raffle at each event.
Session 1 – Introduction to Windows Phone 7 Programming
In this session, we start with a discussion of windows phone, the architecture changes made from 6.5 to 7.0, the hardware specifications and then move into the beginnings of building a WP7 application including :
- Application life cycle
- Hardware Foundation
- Files associated with project template
- Splash screen and the importance of 1 second / 19 second loading
- Application Bar
- Panorama and Pivot controls
- Red Threads
Session 2 – Connecting to Services
In this session, we will discuss how Cloud Services help to bring power to the phone. We will be binding to a rest based services and show how to search and display the information received. In this session we will also talk about Navigation, passing information between screens, simple page animations while working with List and detail information.
- Fragment Navigation
- JSON Deserialization
- The Extras Menu
- Live Tile
- Push Notifications
- Push Notification Helper Library
- Shell Tile Scheduler
Session 3 – Recording Data
In this session we will be working with the Camera to capture and crop photos, record audio files, take notes, saving location, sharing (sending emails and SMS messages – and if time permits sending to twitter or FB) and saving everything using isolated storage. We will discuss tombstoning and how it effects your application process, including the when, where and whys of saving state).
- Tombstoning helper
- Sensor overview
- Location and GPS
- Bing Maps
- Phone Shake
- Launchers and Choosers
- Isolated Storage
NOTE: Each attendee is required to bring a laptop loaded with the free software required for the labs.
The required software is:
- Windows Vista or Windows 7 (WP7 tools will not run on XP or on a VM)
Windows Phone 7 Developer tools http://create.msdn.com/en-us/home/getting_started (All 3 below) All three will be found on that page:
- Developer Tools
- Developer Tools Jan Update
- Windows Phone Developer Tools Fix
If you already have Visual Studio, the tools will be added to VS otherwise it will install the free phone tools.
- Direct Link to tools ISO instead of web installer http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=201927 (If you use this make sure you go to the other page and install Jan update an dFix)
- Silverlight for Windows Phone Toolkit http://silverlight.codeplex.com/releases/view/60291
- Shake Gesture Library http://create.msdn.com/en-us/education/catalog/article/Recipe_Shake_Gesture_Library
- Register at FanFeedr http://developer.fanfeedr.com/
- Register for MS Advertising and download SDK – we will show you how to add this to your apps in class http://advertising.microsoft.com/mobile-apps
- Sign Up for a Bing
Maps account and key
- Instructions on how to register for Bing Maps account http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wp7trainingcourse_usingbingmapslab_topic2
Optional But Suggested Downloads and Resources:
Video Series: Windows Phone 7 Development for Absolute Beginners - http://channel9.msdn.com/series/windows-phone-7-development-for-absolute-beginners
Free book online - Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide from Microsoft patterns & practices Developer Center, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg490765.aspx
- Free ebook - Free ebook: Programming Windows Phone 7, by Charles Petzold (a 24-chapter gift from the Windows Phone 7 team and Microsoft Press) + download the C# and VB sample code.
- VB SDK if you want to write your phone apps in VB.Net http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a808a69d-6119-47b7-b858-262be5c49915
- (Visual Studio Professional or higher. Does not yet support VS Express for windows phone)
- Paint.Net (Its Free) (for working with images—if you don’t have Photoshop) http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
- Paint.Net PSD Plugin & Install instructions http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/
- Windows Azure Toolkit for WP7 http://watoolkitwp7.codeplex.com/
- Application Certification Requirements http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9730558
- Windows Phone 7 Design Templates http://wp7designtemplates.codeplex.com/ ( Silverlight for Windows Phone Toolkit above is needed for this)
- Article –Using the design templates http://www.windowsphonegeek.com/articles/21-WP7-Toolkit-in-Depth-articles-covering-all-controls
- Silverlight& WP7 Exception Handling and Logging Building Block http://silverlightlogging.codeplex.com/
- Windows Phone 7 Isolated Storage Explorer http://wp7explorer.codeplex.com/
- WP7 Tombstone Helper http://tombstonehelper.codeplex.com/
- Push Notification Server Side Helper http://create.msdn.com/en-us/education/catalog/article/pnhelp-wp7
- WP7 Databases
- WinPhone7DB http://winphone7db.codeplex.com/
- Wp7Sqllite http://wp7sqlite.codeplex.com/
- JubbaDB http://blog.clauskonrad.net/2010/10/how-to-database-for-wp7.html
- EffiProzDB_WP http://www.effiproz.com/product_wp.aspx
- Isolated Storage Explorer http://wp7explorer.codeplex.com/
- WP7 Dropbox http://wp7dropbox.codeplex.com/
- JSON Viewer to see and read long JSON http://jsonviewer.codeplex.com/
- Creating Custom Pushpins for Bing Maps http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wp7trainingcourse_usingbingmapslab_topic3
- RestSharp http://lukencode.com/2010/08/04/rest-web-services-in-windows-phone-7/
- JSON.Net http://json.codeplex.com/